Educators got a little closer together today as VoicEd Radio began a new venture, a one-hour open line radio show for Canadians to talk about the education issues they care about – locally, regionally, provincially or nationally.
Our purpose today was to find out what some of the current issues are, with a plan to dedicate future shows to specific issues. Thank you so much to our callers from British Columbia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Northern Ontario.
We talked about :
- wellness in schools,
- capacity-building for mental health awareness,
- the fine line between knowing what kids need vs. following the curriculum,
- the school structures that prevent us from innovating
- the trend to minimizing the number of local trustees [Do elected school boards have a future in Canada?]
- teacher preparation for the classrooms of today
- common ground for conversations about education (how to get past the political rhetoric)
- the many pressures already on educators
- inclusive education and what models might work
- the seismic shifts in Ontario, Nova Scotia and Manitoba (arguably Newfoundland and Labrador as well)
What issues would you like to discuss?
Call toll-free 1-855-848-6423 [1-855-84-VOICE] and leave a message, or join in next Sunday March 24 at 12 noon Pacific, 1 pm Mountain, 2 pm Central, 3 p.m. ET, 4 pm Atlantic and 4:30 pm in Newfoundland.